The Three Brothers, Abraham, Peter and Charles La Bar, Huguenot immigrant ancestors
Abraham and his two brothers, Peter or Pierre and Charles, left France to escape religious persecution as Protestant Huguenots, and came to America, arriving sometime before 1730. There they settled in what is today the area of Slatington, in Mount Bethel Township, Northampton County, PA. They cleared land, built a log cabin, farmed, traded and became friendly with Native Americans. The three brothers ultimately moved north of the Blue mountains as other settlers moved in, but their descendants stayed.
Abraham is reported to have a son, also named Abraham. I have found no documentation for this.
From the History of Northampton County Pennsylvania and The Grand Valley of the Lehigh under the supervision and revision of William J. Heller, 1920, published by the American Historical Society of Boston, New York and Chicago. Pages 546.
Here is what the history of Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties, Pennsylvania, pages 1082-1083 has to say about the three brothers:
The first representatives of the family in this country were Peter, Charles and Abram La Bar, who emigrated about 1730, and landed at Philadelphia. After a few days of rest they determined to follow up the Delaware River, and make a settlement on the very outskirts of civilization. In three days they arrived at the forks of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers, which was then the principal white settlement, the present site of Easton being occupied by an Indian village. Continuing their journey, they at length came in view of the Blue Ridge barrier. There were some small settlements back from the river, but none on the river above Williamsburg, except that of Nicholas Depui, who was comfortably planted at what is now Shawnee. After viewing the country between the river and the mountain for a day or two, they pitched upon a site for their cabin) about three-quarters of a mile from the river, on a somewhat elevated spot, in what is now Mount Bethel township, Northampton County, and soon had their primitive homestead erected. The Indians were their only near neighbors, and these they managed to make their true friends by many little acts of kindness. Here they dwelt together a number of years, engaged in the various occupations of pioneer life, until finally, as the tide of emigration from the north and south began to reach them, they each married a German or Dutch wife, and found it advisable to separate.
Charles remained in the old cabin homestead in Mount Bethel. Peter pushed a little farther on and bought a tract of land above the mountains of the Indians, southwest of where Stroudsburg now stands, and adjoining a tract Colonel Stroud purchased some time after. Here he cleared up a good home, after many years of hard labor, and raised a large family of children. Abram planted himself above the Delaware Water Gap Notch, not far from the Delaware Water Gap depot, where he lived many years and raised a large family. He cleared the island just above the Gap, which, with the garden flat around his house, made quite a snug farm. He lived there in 1741, when the Governor sent Nicholas Scull up to look after the state of things in the Smithfields.